Saturday, August 2, 2008

My Modest Collection.....

When I was young, my late father owned a moderate collection of orchids. He was so proud of his collection which often earned praises as well as compliments from friends and neighbours. I can still fondly remember that we (myself & siblings) will just stand still by each potted orchid, admiring the beautifulness and the uniqueness of the colourful blooms. As for my late father, he would tend to his collection with much, tender loving care even after a hard day's work at the office. Most of the orchids were planted with just some broken pieces of clay bricks and pieces of black charcoal. Fertilising was done in a natural, organic method..ie. soaking the pots of orchids into a pail of water containing fishes' guts or sometimes into a pail of water derived from washing rice grains (air cucian beras..in malay).

Born and bred in a country that is proud to have a beautiful orchid as the national flower (Vanda Miss Joaquim)...I'm not too keen in nurturing or planting orchids in my potted garden BUT I do admire the uniqueness blooms of every single specie of the plant. My main reason being that nurturing orchids need lots of patience as well as great endurance and of course, tender loving care. To have an orchid plant to produce blooms sometimes can take months or even years for some species. Maybe, or just maybe..I might consider adding a few more species to my modest current collection of the orchids. Recently, a few orchids from the modest collection of mine have been producing beautiful, unique blooms...Enjoy!!






** This article is specially dedicated to my late father. Al-Fatihah for the late Haji Ahmad Bin Kitang and may ALLAH bless his soul and place him among the pious. Ameen.

No comments: