Sunday, June 1, 2008

Stem Cuttings...or should it be Leaf Cuttings!!!

It was really a surprise yesterday night to find a small red paper bag on the stairs of my house. I was opening the bag very slowly, not knowing what to expect and there it was..a few stem cuttings of African Violets freshly packed in small 'ziploc' plastic bags, individually labelled. There's only one person that come across my mind on that very moment..yes, Kak Mona. Was she really here at my place when we were out yesterday afternoon??


It was a public holiday yesterday, the Brunei Armed Forces Day. Since my spouse had a day off and the children not having to attend school, we decided to have a day 'out' in the afternoon as well as to do some grocery shopping. As a matter of fact, I was also on a mission to find any African Violet plants for sale at some of the shopping establishments here but sad to say, this particular type of plant is not commonly available here..not like back home, where we can easily find them in almost all supermarkets & nurseries. I really miss visiting the nurseries back home.

Right after unpacking my groceries and fulfilling my religious obligations, I wait no time to quickly germinate the stem cuttings. The small flower plastic pots that I bought previously was filled with the recommended combination of medium with each individual stem cutting carefully placed in the plastic pot and labelled accordingly. I was very excited with the whole process and just can't wait to see the success, only time will tell.


The re-potted plants given previously (above picture) and the new cuttings freshly germinated in smaller pots (below picture), all from the compliments of a dear friend, Kak Mona.


Thanks again Kak Mona for the cuttings and the seeds..at least part of my mission have been accomplished.

No comments: