Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My First Plumeria Blooms

This is my one and only Plumeria that I bought a few months ago, just a small stem-cutting planted in a black polybag which costs me $3 in local currency. Recently, it presents us with slightly small, frangrance yellow blooms. I have since transferred the 3-branched plant to a 12 inch diameter terracotta pot.



The Plumeria or locally known as Frangipani (also known as Pokok Kemboja in Malay) is actually often locally associated with cemeteries..why is it so? One logic explanation to it, these trees (commonly the white flowers type) can easily be found planted in cemeteries but globally, the Plumeria blooms are often associated with Hawaii & the other southern islands. I was in a way interested in planting a Plumeria after a visit to the Greencultures Singapore website forum and really felt the enchantment of the beautiful colourful blooms that the members posted. There are many types of Plumeria available with each type producing blooms of different shades of colours. Plumeria can easily be propagated by stem cuttings or seeds (which is much slower to germinate & grow) and loves full sunny location with well-drained medium with fertilising once in a while. It is an easy plant to grow and if given an unlimited space, it can fully grow into a huge tree.

3 comments:

coolcat said...

good to see that you're growing a plumie too. i have several in my garden...one of them is 'vera cruz', said to smell better than a rose! still a small plant and getting it burned quite a hole in my pocket...all the way from the usa.

BIZZY said...

Eversince a member of GCS, dah pun kena 'poisoned' juga..ha..ha..ha. The 'vera cruz' is one such beautiful plumeria..nice unique blend of colours..is it the one with a blend of pink, yellow & white?

Initially, my spouse was against me planting a plumeria but someway, somehow, I managed to persuade him to let me have one..now, he's the one who's so excited to see the blooms :)

I want to get more of different varieties without a 'burn' in the pocket. Will visit the Rimba Horti centre to look for cheap plumies again..want to come along?

coolcat said...

don't buy...i have some small plants that i can give you : )